My mom recently pointed out that I have not been posting many recipes. She’s right. And that’s mainly because, up until recently, I haven’t really had many recipes to share. But now I do! Beginning today, there will be a recipe blitz. Look for approximately 7 new recipes in the next 10 days. Up first…breakfast burritos.
I found this idea on Money Saving Mom a couple of weeks ago. I really liked the idea of having a grab and go breakfast, especially for my husband who, on most mornings, does not have time to eat breakfast at home. Also, I was starting to get sick of bagels. I wasn’t 100% in love with Crystal’s recipe, so I made my own:
The Empty Kitchen’s Breakfast Burritos (adapted from Money Saving Mom):
- 1 tbsp olive oil (can substitute with 1 tbsp butter)
- ½ cup onions, chopped or diced
- ½ cup peppers, chopped or diced
- 6 eggs, beaten
- 2-3 slices hot pepper cheese, or any type of cheese you like
- 6 flour tortillas, whatever size you like
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Optional: sausage, bacon, ham
- Heat oil in nonstick skillet
- Sauté onions and peppers until semi-soft
- Pour in beaten eggs, letting them set in skillet and then scrambling eggs along with onions and peppers (If using optional breakfast meat, you can add the cooked meat to the pan at this point)
- Add in cheese, letting it melt. Remove from heat when cheese is melted
- Using ¼ cup measuring cup, scoop mixture into warmed tortillas. Roll up like a burrito.
- Wrap burrito in tin foil (Crystal recommends using a paper towel for first roll, then wrapping in tin foil. Either way is fine) and place in freezer. When ready to eat, wrap in paper towel and heat in the microwave for approximately 1 ½ min
The recipe can be doubled, tripled, halved…pretty much however you want. I figured it was a one egg to one burrito ratio; you can use that as a rough guideline.
I spent no money making these as I had every ingredient on hand. If you had to buy the ingredients, I would think that each burrito would cost a total of $.50, depending on what you put in the filling. Not a bad way to start the morning!