Have you ever looked at your pantry closet at the end of the week, with payday still a day or two away, wondering what on earth you’re going to cook? I’ve experienced this situation on more than one occasion and fortunately, thanks to a very wonderful neighbor during college, I’ve been able to make this recipe–chicken and rice.
This chicken and rice recipe also makes a really good go-to recipe when you don’t have much time to feed your family and you don’t want to pay for takeout. It makes a nice alternative to chili or frozen pizza. And, there’s usually lots of leftovers which means lunch the next day!
Here’s the recipe:
- 1-2 chicken boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 3-4 tbsp butter
- 2-4 cups rice (2 cups for every 1 chicken breast)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Boil chicken breasts in large pot of water.
- While chicken is boiling, cook rice.
- When chicken is done boiling and cooked through, shred with a cheese grater or cut into small pieces (it works better if you can shred it).
- Combine shredded or cut-up chicken, cooked rice, can of cream of chicken soup and butter in large bowl.
- Season with salt and pepper.
This recipe goes great with a quick salad or cut-up vegetables.
This chicken and rice recipes is super easy to make and, rather than a casserole, it’s made in a pot and served in bowls. If it looks like a really thick gruel when you’re done, you did it right!