About 1 ½ years ago, I found a recipe for a 15 minute taco in a pan (I cannot find the original link), which I adapted for my very own. There were 3 elements of this recipe that I enjoyed: it’s inexpensive, quick and it’s easy. My family also loves tacos; I do not love the mess involved with tacos. This recipe is a nice compromise between the two:
- 1 lb lean ground beef (or one package soy burger crumbles)
- 1 can diced tomatoes with jalapeños
- 1 packet taco seasoning mix
- 2 cups cooked instant rice
- Optional: shredded lettuce, sour cream, shredded cheese, salsa, sliced black olives, tortilla chips
- Cook rice according to directions on box. When cooked, set aside.
- While rice is cooking, brown beef (or soy crumbles) in a nonstick pan.
- Once the beef is cooked and no longer pink, add the can of tomatoes, cooked rice and taco seasoning mix with water (amount as directed on seasoning packet).
- Cooked until all ingredients are heated through.
- Serve with optional toppings. Also good as the filling for burritos.
Makes approximately 6 servings.
Nutrition information varies with type of beef (70/30, 80/20, 90/10 or 93/7) and optional toppings